We’re so sorry to not be able meet in person for the 2021 version of the Symposium. However, we do hope to see you in Madison in the Future! If you would like to virtually check out our city, take a look at all of the information below.
Welcome to Madison!
Here, you will find directions and information for getting to Madison, traveling around the city, and lodging options, as well as suggestions for dining and other activities and attractions.
This year the GAFIS Symposium is held at Union South
(1308 West Dayton Street, Madison, WI 53715).
Getting to Madison
Arrival information from Madison (Dane County Regional) Airport:
- Union Cab http://www.unioncab.com/
- Car rentals from airport http://www.msnairport.com/guide/car_rental.aspx
Note: Generally, it isn’t necessary to rent a car if you arrive via Dane County Regional Airport. The airport is located only about six miles from the downtown Madison and UW campus area, and taxi service is available. If you do choose to rent a car, check with your hotel directly about parking availability.
Arrival Information from Chicago O’Hare/Midway/Milwaukee:
- Approximately a 1.5-hour drive from Milwaukee (via I-94)
- Approximately a 2.5-hour drive from Chicago (via I-90)
Getting around Madison
- Walking: State Street is the main route from the Capitol to campus and has a lot of restaurants and shops. It is closed to vehicle traffic except buses.
- Biking: and Madison is very bike-friendly. If you’d like to rent a bike to use while you’re here, check out Madison B-Cycle to take advantage of stations across the city.
- Buses: The local bus line is relatively inexpensive at $2 per one-way trip. Bus numbers 80, 81, 82, and 84 run through the campus and are free of charge. See the bus map here.
Please get in touch with Maggie Hughes, our Housing & Transportation Committee Chair, with housing questions.
Lowell Center 610 Langdon Street
Union South 1308 W. Dayton St.
Memorial Union Guest Rooms 800 Langdon St.
Downtown Madison Lodging:
Campus Inn (Graduate Madison) 601 Langdon Street
HI-Madison Hostel 141 South Butler St
DoubleTree 525 W. Johnson Street
Hampton Inn & Suites 440 W. Johnson Street
Hotel Red 1501 Monroe Street
West of Campus Lodging:
Best Western Plus Inn Towner 2424 University Ave
While you’re here, we hope you have time to sample some local fare! Here are some recommendations we think you’ll enjoy.
Great Dane 123 E Doty Street
Old Fashioned 23 N Pickney Street. (Try the cheese curds!)
Coopers Tavern 20 W Mifflin Street
Sol’s on the Square 117 E Mifflin Street
Muramoto 108 King Street
Fugu 411 W Gilman Street
Porta Bella 425 N Frances Street (just off State Street)
Cento 122 W Mifflin Street
Osteria Papavero 128 E Wilson Street
Kabul (Afghani/Mediterranean) 540 State Street
MedCafé (Mediterranean – open at lunchtime) 625 State Street
Layla’s (Persian) 141 S Butler Street
State Capitol Tours