Welcome to Madison!
Here, you will find directions and information for getting to Madison, traveling around the city, and lodging options, as well as suggestions for dining and other activities and attractions.
This year the GAFIS Symposium is held at Pyle Center
(702 Langdon St, Madison, WI 53706).
Getting to Madison
Arrival information from Madison (Dane County Regional) Airport:
- Union Cab
- Car rentals from Dane County Regional Airport.
Note: Generally, it isn’t necessary to rent a car if you arrive via Dane County Regional Airport. The airport is located only about six miles from the downtown Madison and UW campus area, and taxi service is available. If you do choose to rent a car, check with your hotel directly about parking availability.
Arrival Information from Chicago O’Hare/Midway/Milwaukee:
- Approximately a 1.5-hour drive from Milwaukee (via I-94)
- Approximately a 2.5-hour drive from Chicago (via I-90)
- Coach USA (to/from Chicago airports)
- Badger Bus (to/from Milwaukee)
Getting around Madison
- Walking: State Street is the main route from the Capitol to campus and has a lot of restaurants and shops. It is closed to vehicle traffic except buses.
- Biking: and Madison is very bike-friendly. If you’d like to rent a bike to use while you’re here, check out Madison B-Cycle to take advantage of stations across the city.
- Buses: The local bus line is relatively inexpensive at $2 per one-way trip. Bus numbers 80, 81, 82, and 84 run through the campus and are free of charge. See the bus Routes & Schedules here.
Please get in touch with G. Charles Kilian, our Housing & Transportation Committee Chair, with housing questions.
Lowell Center 610 Langdon Street
Union South 1308 W. Dayton St.
Memorial Union Guest Rooms 800 Langdon St.
Downtown Madison Lodging:
Graduate Madison 601 Langdon Street
DoubleTree by Hilton Madison Downtown 525 W. Johnson Street
Hampton Inn & Suites Madison / Downtown 440 W. Johnson Street
Hyatt Place Madison/Downtown 333 W Washington Avenue
West of Campus Lodging:
Best Western Plus Inn Towner 2424 University Ave
While you’re here, we hope you have time to sample some local fare! Here are some recommendations we think you’ll enjoy.
Great Dane 123 E Doty Street
Old Fashioned 23 N Pickney Street. (Try the cheese curds!)
Coopers Tavern 20 W Mifflin Street
Tavernakaya 27 E. Main St.
Morris Ramen 106 King St.
Fugu 411 W Gilman Street
Bar Corallini 2004 Atwood Ave, Madison, WI 53704
Pizza Brutta 1805 Monroe St, Madison,
Cento 122 W Mifflin Street
Osteria Papavero 128 E Wilson Street
Parthenon Gyros 316 State Street
MedCafé (Mediterranean) 625 State Street
Adamah Neighborhood Table (Kosher) 611 Langdon Street
Historical Society library and archives
State Capitol Tours